Let’s have a look at the email sent by Google to every Google user :
Dear Google user,
We’re getting rid of over 60 different privacy policies across Google and replacing them with one that’s a lot shorter and easier to read. Our new policy covers multiple products and features, reflecting our desire to create one beautifully simple and intuitive experience across Google.
The first point states not to misuse Google services. It points to those who are using Google accounts for wrong and illegal activities like terrorists and crackers to send emails and crack others’ accounts.
- Don’t mess with the Google Property . Google points on the copyright issue up here, this is a serious call for those who are using Google’s content like its logo and information without it’s permission. This is also a wake up call for those who have the domain name with “Google” word in them .
- You retain the ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in the content you upload to Google content services. This clearly states that we hold the exclusive copyright and name of the content we submit to Google Content accepting services like Knol, Blogger and much more. But the next line makes it confusing.
- Google retains worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute content uploaded by the user to Google Content websites. This is confusing, read the previous point and this point, both are battling . Still, it’s like MORE POWER TO GOOGLE which can now use your content you submit to its services.
- Tailored for You : Google will come up with search suggestions, video suggestions and search results with respect to the interests of you. Basically it would start tracking you everywhere , from searches to Youtube, from Gmail to Google Adwords and come up with results according to those tracking. Indirectly , it will stalk us everywhere.
- Google gives you a personal, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable and non-exclusive license to use the software provided to you by Google as part of the Services. If I count the number of softwares Google has developed they are only a handful of them and who wants to edit Google softwares when users hardly use them.
- We are constantly changing and improving our Services. We may add or remove functionalities or features, and we may suspend or stop a Service altogether. Google gives a hint of various changes which would come in its services and also that its services would stop. Google , We already know that you can start and stop services anytime. Live Example : Google + and Google Wave.
If you are going to read Changes to Google Policies and Terms of Services, I would strictly recommend you not to . Rather read the summary on websites on blogs as you won’t understand anything in the policies document and it’s even boring than my Physics Chapters and would give you a headache for sure.
To Google’s Luring Success and KingdomKaran Lugani